On Wednesday, 11 March 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) characterized the coronavirus (COVID-19) viral disease a pandemic, but it is a pandemic that can be controlled. Coronavirus (COVID-19) is the infectious disease caused by the most recently discovered coronavirus.
The UN Secretary-General urged all countries to take a comprehensive approach tailored to their circumstances – with containment as the central pillar. COVID-19 is affecting thousands of people, impacting countries’ health systems and having widespread social and economic effects.
The UN entities working on development and the United Nations Sustainable Development Group are supporting countries in their preparedness and response plans. WHO is working closely with global experts, governments and partners to track the spread and to provide guidance to countries and individuals on measures to protect health and prevent the spread of this outbreak.
To stay up to date with the latest information, please visit:
- World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Global Situation: https://covid19.who.int/
- WHO guidance for countries: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical
- Latest news on the United Nations’ Global response: https://news.un.org/en/events/un-news-coverage-coronavirus-outbreak
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) WHO Dashboard for Sierra Leone: https://who.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/e5d453431c2143639d2ea3ef585e20a6
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Situational Reports in Sierra Leone: https://sl.one.un.org/covid-19-sitreps/
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Communication in Sierra Leone (From the Ministry of Information and Communication): https://www.facebook.com/mic.gov.sl/
Basic Protective Measures Against COVID19:
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends these 7 simple steps to protect yourself and others from the disease: ⠀
- Wash your hands frequently ⠀
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose
- Cover your cough with the bend of your elbow or tissue⠀
- Avoid crowded places ⠀
- Stay at home if you feel unwell – even with a slight fever and cough⠀
- If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical care early – but call 117 first
- Stay aware of the latest information about coronavirus from WHO
Questions and Answers on COVID19: